CAIRE Companion 5 Home Concentrator Review
CAIRE Companion 5 Review
CAIRE Inc. also known as CAIRE Medical is undoubtedly one of the world’s leading manufacturers of portable oxygen concentrators and other machines that supply oxygen. CAIRE products – portable, home, and hospital units are made with special technological components to help COPD patients and others on oxygen therapy around the world.
I never have any doubts about the ingenuity and thoughtfulness that CAIRE, a company of American origin, that has been developing oxygen delivery equipment for more than 50 years, has placed into its products and designs.
Unlike a portable oxygen concentrator, a home oxygen concentrator is mostly used at home. Here, you will find a detailed review of one of CAIRE’s home oxygen concentrator machines, the CAIRE Companion 5. It is well known for its portability (the thinnest stationary oxygen concentrator on the market), simple and strong design, low maintenance, and low power consumption. It has an oxygen concentration of almost 95.5%, which makes this an excellent choice for users living in high-altitude regions. I’m not done yet. There’s more, so let’s keep reading.
Users on oxygen therapy with concerns about mobility whilst at home would find this device really convenient to have around.
What are the Key Features of the CAIRE Companion 5 Oxygen Concentrator?
Making a list of the features that are essential to you before buying an oxygen concentrator is a great idea.
- How heavy is it?
- Can I move around with it?
- What is its power consumption like?
- Is it a continuous-flow oxygen concentrator?
- And many others.
These are just a few things most individuals are worried about when searching for the right home oxygen concentrator. All the questions and lots more would be evaluated below.
The key features of this oxygen concentrator include:
- autoFLOW technology: This enables the device to reduce its power consumption by 20% with the help of a valve timing system that adjusts the valve cycle timing based on flow rate, and still maintains usage of less than 350 watts at its highest setting. At lower flow rates, it can also reduce operating temperatures, system pressures, sound levels, and component strain. This feature alone ranks Companion 5 among the home concentrators with the highest energy efficiency.
- ultraSILENT technology: It uses a special intake filter with a number of sound mufflers sandwiched together to help reduce and soften the noise level from the exhausts during use.
Other Features and Benefits:
Design and Appearance
The CAIRE Companion 5 is a simple at-home oxygen concentrator with a curved top and a dark grey exterior colour. You can easily move the unit throughout your house, whether you’re using it next to your living room sofa or your bed at night, thanks to the four strong and substantial wheels on the underside of the piece and the handle at the top.
Size, Weight, and Power
- Weight: 36 pounds (16.3kg)
- Dimension: It measures 12.5 inches wide, 13.5 inches deep, and 21.5 inches high.
- Power: 60 Hz, 120 Volts
The CAIRE Companion 5 is a “lowkey” home oxygen concentrator due to its size and weight. It weighs only 36 pounds, which is quite light compared to other oxygen concentrators that can provide up to 5 LPM. It maintains a low energy profile for regular home use with approximately 285 watts of average power consumption.
Easy-to-use Control panel
This unit has a control panel located at the front right-hand side that is simple to use. It has a power switch that is used to turn the device on and off, green, yellow, and red LED lights, an hour meter that indicates how long the device has been in use, and a flow meter that is used to both control and display the oxygen flow rate. Just beside the control panel is a support stand for the humidifier bottle which is also easily accessible.
The flow rate is adjusted by turning a knob on the flow meter in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. By observing where the ball’s center is located in the meter, you can ascertain the current flow rate.
The LED lights are there to help you understand the state of the device at every given time.
- Green indicates normal operation
- Yellow indicates that there is a low oxygen concentration
- When the unit displays a red LED light and makes a sound, there is a problem that needs to be fixed before you can use the device again. A solid red light and continuous noise mean that even though the unit is connected to a power outlet, there is no power supply. A blocked cannula may be the cause of a flashing red light and beeping that indicates that the flow rate is either too low or too high. All of these sound technical, but the user manual would always be available for revision when necessary.
The CAIRE Companion 5 is one the least maintenance-intensive oxygen concentrators on the market due to easy access to its air filters. Users will have to do less work with fewer filter changes. Isn’t that great?
At the bottom of the appliance is the air intake filter, which needs to be changed every two years or as needed. The HEPA filter (gross particle filter) is also inside the appliance and is replaceable as needed or at least every two years.
The Caire Companion 5 has a noise level of 40 dBA, which holds up fine with other competitors with continuous flow oxygen delivery. The two-chamber muffler and intake filter work together to muffle intake noise.
Components of the CAIRE Companion 5 Oxygen concentrator
- Power switch
- Outer case
- Hour meter
- Flow meter
- Outlet barb
- Humidifier bottle
- Humidifier support stand
- Easy-to-read LED display
- A filter that is easily accessible through the filter door
- AC power cord
- Nasal cannula
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a warranty?
Yes. It comes with the typical three years warranty.
Is it FAA-Approved?
No, it is not approved by the FAA for travel due to its larger size and it needs to be connected to a power supply for continuous use.
The CAIRE Companion 5 oxygen concentrator is without question a durable home unit to suit all your needs. It is suitable for individuals with higher oxygen demands and I would recommend this without blinking twice.
20 reviews for CAIRE Companion 5 Home Concentrator Review